Dissolving Choke Points

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Tue Feb 4 10:20:22 PST 1997

At 11:36 PM 2/3/97 -0800, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>What I have seen is a pretty complete elimination of the signal that
>was there.  Some might argue that this is "just" because Tim stopped
>posting.  But so what?  The result of moderation was the elimination
>of signal.

Nonsense. The signal had left long before the moderation began. The
steepest drop in signal (not S/N ratio) was between shortly before Perry
left and Vulis had completed his takeover. Signal is cause by signal
generators. Most top signal generators, other than Tim, had left because of
pollution caused by the likes of Vulis, aga, and his homophonic boyfriends.

Moderation has nothing to do with the loss of signal other than that signal
from Tim was lost. And while I appreciated Tim's essays, they were never
the sole source of signal on the list. Tim did not even provide the
majority of signal. "Best individual contributor", sure.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi