AltaVista Tunnel

Rick Osborne osborne at gateway.grumman.com
Tue Feb 4 10:07:14 PST 1997

The Digital / Microsoft "Driving Force" tour is in our parking lot today
and I got the opportunity to have a look around.  One of the 'stations'
inside the truck is on intranets.  They were showing off a product called
"AltaVista Tunnel" which I assume is their PPTP product.  I say "I assume"
because the guy showing it off had absolutely no clue what he was talking
about.  He triumphantly exclaimed that the encryption was 128-bit, but when
I said "128-bit what?" he cowered and muttered that he didn't know and went
on with his little speech.  The rest of my crypto-specific questions met
with equal dark stares.  And these are the people setting industry standards...
_________ o s b o r n e @ g a t e w a y . g r u m m a n . c o m _________
Real programmers programs never work right the first time. But if you
throw them on the machine they can be patched into working in only a few
30-hours debugging sessions.