My Departure, Moderation, and "Ownership of the List"

ISP_Ratings boursy at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 4 04:21:06 PST 1997

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> ichudov at algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home) writes:
>
>> Adam Back wrote:
>> >
>> > Perhaps it is time to reconsider the benefits of alt.cypherpunks.  (As
>> > an aside, it is ironic that John Gilmore was the guy who started the
>> > alt.* USENET hierarchy, specifically to facilitate freedom of speech).
>> >

>> An interesting idea.
>
>John Gilmore of EFF is a liar and a hypocrite who likes to claim credit for
>other people's accomplishments.

  Well EFF itself is a lie--the were very well exposed by Wired Mag. a
while back as being nothing more than a corporate whore.  They represent
the interests of owners not consumers--the ACLU has been very open
in their critisism of the EFF in this regard.  A large corporation
waves some money in front of their noses and tells them to bend
over you can be sure they'll bend over.  Respectable free speech
advocates do not associate with EFF.

>He had nothing whatsoever to do with the creation of the alt.* Usenet
>hierarchy. Gilmore is a liar and a censor.

  Is Mr. Gilmore making this claim?

>On the other hand, creating an alt.cypherpunks sounds like a more robust
>idea than yet another mailing list.

  And you could merely post this mailing list publically in the
alt group of your choice--I find it interesting at times but not
worth responding to in general since freedom of expressiion is
not a given.

                            Steve