My Departure, Moderation, and "Ownership of the List"

Blanc Weber blancw at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 3 14:45:39 PST 1997

From:	Timothy C. May

With no false modesty I tried awfully hard to compose
substantive essays on crypto-political topics, often more than one per
day.
(Others did too, but they seem to be tapering off as well, leaving the
list
to be dominated by something called a "Toto," the "O.J. was framed!"
ravings of Dale Thorn, the love letters between Vulis and someone name
Nurdane Oksas, and the occasional bit of crypto news. Ho hum. I'm glad
I'm
not reading the list in e-mail, and thus can easily avoid replying to
these
inanities...

Your thoughtful contributions to the list are missed, Tim.   As soon as
I realized that you had left the list I suspected it had something to do
with its moderation.

However, I must protest the inclusion of Toto's posts as one of the
"inane".    His posts were intentionally formulated to cause to stand
out what was, indeed, inane -  as he said, to "hold up a mirror".    And
he continually decried the list experiment, pointing out the
philosophical contradiction of a moderated "anarchist" forum.

If the antidote to bad speech is more speech, then he certainly provided
some, although not on the level or style as yourself.   And you may say
that some of these posts are not worth replying to, but didn't I see you
respond to one of Dale's, regarding a photo of Jessica-the-pilot which
he keeps above his desk?

   ..
Blanc