Libel, Times v. Sullivan

blanc blancw at cnw.com
Sun Feb 2 22:16:23 PST 1997

From:	Attila T. Hun

+Yes, if the Magna Carta guaranteed a right and the forefathers fought
+to  secure it, why should any of us ever have to lift a finger in our
+own  defense.

    seems to me Jefferson said it took a rebellion every 20 years or so
    to keep democracy awake...  other than presuming your answer is
    tongue in cheek (not elsewhere), complacency == welfare.

Definitely  tongue-in-cheek.    Just noting that if a thing has been
"guaranteed", this means (by my interpretation) that it is a done deal and
nothing further need be done about it - it's established and automatic.

But obviously a "right", though it be a basic operant in Nature and
existent as an abstract concept in some people's minds, is not recognized
either naturally or formally by many.

Therefore, as Jefferson remarked, we cannot depend on our forefather's
vision to uphold our honor but must re-establish it as needed.

    ..
Blanc