If guilty of a lesser crime, you can be sentenced for a greater

Igor Chudov @ home ichudov at algebra.com
Sun Feb 2 17:14:54 PST 1997

jim bell wrote:

> Better yet, set up a system to encourage the public to USE those guns (and
> other weapons) to get rid of the people who pass such laws, and the problem
> is solved.

How about this scenario: I borrow 1 million dollars from, let's say,
Phill Hallam-Baker. Not wanting to pay it back, I pay to the
assassination bot and arrange him to be murdered.

Another story: suppose that I negligently caused fire that destroys
house of, say, Toto. Toto knows that if he sues me, I can arrange him
murdered for the amount less than the amount of damages. As a result,
he refrains from suing me, or (if he is a mean person) pays additional
money to have me murdered. A suit would probably be a much better outcome.

Another story: suppose that OKSAS hired me to work for her, but then
our relationships go south and she fires me. Again, her fate is very
unclear, although I would probably spare her life if it were she.

The bottom line is, it becomes very hard to do ANYTHING that disappoints
at least somebody. That can lead to a lot of inefficiencies.

	- Igor.