Why I Support Microsoft

William H. Geiger III whgiii at invweb.net
Mon Dec 29 21:20:09 PST 1997

In <TFaiie54w165w at bwalk.dm.com>, on 12/29/97
   at 10:34 PM, dlv at bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM) said:

>landon dyer <landon at best.com> writes:

>> At 03:47 AM 12/29/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> >
>> >  [lots of linux-vs-microsoft stuff deleted, then:]
>> >
>> >     - The third party market for Linux software would grow rapidly
>> >       and enormously.
>> >     - The government's software budget would be reduced dramatically.
>> >
>> >I consider both of these to be Good Things (tm).  The government
>> >wouldn't be forcing anything at the point of a gun, they'd simply be
>> >making a financially responsible vendor selection (hey, there's a
>> >first time for everything).  Our tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on
>> >substandard software when superior, cheaper alternatives exist.
>>

>>   i haven't touched unix or linux in a long time, but i submit that
>> your ordinary GS-4 secretary can deal with microsoft word a lot more
>> efficiently than s/he can deal with vi/emacs/latex.  i assume there are
>> better tools available on *ix platforms these days, which actually
>> destroys my argument:
>>
>>   do you really want the government to be more efficient?  :-)

>This has no bloody crypto relevance, but the Applix word processor is
>just as easy to use as Microsoft Word. (And somebody should write a
>better free clone of MS Word as a student project.)

>Moreover I've some extremely stupid people successfully trained to use
>(character-mode) Wordperfect.

Lets see how many years before winblows were there computers??

It may be hard to believe for some of the "youngsters" on the list but
people got quite a bit of work done before the fancy GUI's and the ever
insistent push to "upgrade" every six months by Micky$loth.

A well train and experienced secretary will be much more productive with a
text-mode WP with a good set of macro's and keyboard accelerators. A mouse
and a GUI is not only unnecessary but counter-productive.

I would take a good multi-threaded, multi-tasking, text mode system over
the drivile that keeps comming out of Redmond, WA. anyday.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html