Anonymous IRC (was "Cypherpunks IRC Christmas Eve Party")

Mark Hedges hedges at rigel.cyberpass.net
Mon Dec 29 20:07:40 PST 1997

We found IRC users to be so involved in petty information wars --
ping floods, malicious prank hacking, and the like -- that we directed
policy against use of IRC from the anonymous shell accounts at CyberPass.

If IRC users weren't so easily lulled by the tempation to crash a server
or run malicious bots or just plain irritate other people for fun, and
if they would gang up and kick out people who did that, then perhaps we'd
switch that back on.

They were just too much overhead. Everyone else seems pretty nice, really,
as far as the system goes. They're all self-interested in keeping the
anonymous publishing and so on going, so the peace keeps itself.

Mark Hedges
Infonex and Anonymizer