Abandonment of legal precedence...

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Dec 29 09:48:08 PST 1997

When in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for
one People to dissolve the Political bands which have connected
them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth,
the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and
of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the Opinions
of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which
impel them to the Separation.

     We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are
created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with
certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty,
and the Pursuit of Happiness--That to secure these Rights,
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers
from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of
Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of
the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new
Government, laying its foundation on such Principles and
organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most
likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.  Prudence, indeed,
will dictate that Governments long established should not be
changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all
Experience hath shewn, that Mankind are more disposed to suffer,
while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by
abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed.  But when a
long train of Abuses and Ursurpations, pursuing invariably the
same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute
Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such
Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security.
Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such
is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former
Systems of Government.  The history of the present King of Great
Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all
having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny
over these States.  To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a
candid world.

The *entire* point of the forming of the United States over 200 years ago
was the specific intent to break with precedence, in particular *English*
precedence, and find a new way.

[personaly, every time I hear somebody mention English commen law as a
justification to deny the Constitution I want to slap the holy shit out
of them]

In short (paraphrased),

I took the road less travelled, and it made all the difference.

                                     -don't remember-

   |      Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make       |
   |      violent revolution inevitable.                                |
   |                                          John F. Kennedy           |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |