Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment

David Honig honig at otc.net
Tue Dec 23 11:26:05 PST 1997

At 12:55 PM 12/23/97 -0500, Colin Rafferty wrote:
>William H Geiger writes:
>> In <ocryb1c2i2u.fsf at ml.com>, on 12/23/97 at 10:30 AM, Colin Rafferty
<craffert at ml.com> said:

>>> Welcome to the 20th Century, moron.
>
>> Really amazing how many so-called "freedom fighters" become STATIST if the
>> proper buttons are pushed.
>
>What are you talking about?
>
>Freedom of expression is not the same as freedom of oppression.

You aren't being oppressed the other party doesn't want to interact
with you, unless that party is government providing base services to all
(e.g. police/courts/border protection).

You *are* being oppressed if mutually consensual behavior is interfered
with by
others including the State.

You *are* being oppressed if you are coerced into a relationship you don't
want.

An employer-employee relationship is like a marriage or any other arrangement
between adults -mutually consensual.  Colin, do you consider
yourself oppressed when someone choses not to date you?  What about
a rejection by someone who takes out a public advertisement in the paper?

Freedom is only tested when it hurts.

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     honig at otc.net                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

"Windows 95 is a technologically complex product that is best left alone by
the government..."
 ---MSFT Atty B. Smith