Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment

Colin Rafferty craffert at ml.com
Tue Dec 23 10:43:56 PST 1997

William H Geiger writes:
> In <ocrwwgw2bd3.fsf at ml.com>, on 12/23/97 at 12:55 PM, Colin Rafferty <craffert at ml.com> said:
>> William H Geiger writes:

>>> Really amazing how many so-called "freedom fighters" become STATIST if the
>>> proper buttons are pushed.

>> What are you talking about?

>> Freedom of expression is not the same as freedom of oppression.

>> If you want to live in a hut in Montana and shelter yourself from the
>> real world, feel free.  Otherwise, it may be a good idea to check out
>> social theories from the last hundred years.

> Please explain to me where in the Constitution the government is given the
> power to determin who I *must* associate with??

Given that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was upheld as Constitutional, I
would generally use that as an argument.

> If I decide that I do not
> wish to do business with anyone who's last name begins with the letter "R"
> what gives you the right to say that I must?!?

No one.  In fact, sometimes I wish that you would :-).

On the other hand, if a law were passed that made it illegal, and the
Supreme Court found it constitutional, then it would be.

--
Colin