Is Anonymous Communication only for "Criminals"? (was: Re: UCENET II and Peter duh Silva)

Paul Bradley paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 07:09:18 PST 1997

> > I've heard some U.S. cellular carriers are experimenting with
> > "caller pays" billing.  Does anyone on the list have experience with
> > "caller pays"?
>
> I was totally amazed when I heard from a US friend that US cell phones
> don't bill the caller!  My immediate thought was "people can spam call
> you and run your bill up, ouch!"

UK cellphone companies used to charge a rate to both the caller and the
recieving party for cellphone calls (if I recall correctly the only
companies operating then were cellnet and vodaphone, now there are two
other PCS networks, orange and mercury one2one), are any US companies
operating the same schemes as the new ones being offered over here (that
is, one buys a cellphone then pays no line rental, just call charges up
front, the advantages are obvious for those who make very few calls as
there is no $40 per month line rental charge, but the calls are expensive
(around $1 per minute)).

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul at crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul at cryptography.uk.eu.org