Question on CFB variant with c[i-N]

John Kelsey kelsey at plnet.net
Mon Dec 22 22:37:01 PST 1997

> From: Johnson, Michael P (Mike) <JohnsMP at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
> To: 'coderpunks at toad.com'; 'cypherpunks at algebra.com'; 'David Honig'
<honig at otc.net>
> Subject: RE: Question on CFB variant with c[i-N]
> Date: Monday, December 22, 1997 12:22 PM

> How about this mode:
>     c[i] = e(K1, e(k2, c[i-1]) ^ p[i-1]) ^ p[i]
>     p[i] = e(K1, e(k2, c[i-1]) ^ p[i-1]) ^ p[i]
>
> The feedback possibilities are literally endless. The analysis of
the
> effects on security, speed, error propagation, etc., are left as an
> exercise for the reader. <grin>

> Some standard modes have been well analyzed and accepted. They also
are
> built into specialized cracking hardware. Offering and using
multiple
> modes and multiple algorithms raises the cost of building
specialized
> cracking hardware.

I'm kind-of skeptical of the big advantages of this.  I mean, if you
were convinced
someone with a DES-cracking engine was listening in on an encrypted
channel,
and you really wanted to make sure they wouldn't manage to get any
plaintext, would
you rather alter your system to use some weird and not-too-well
analyzed chaining
mode, or alter your system to use DESX or Blowfish or something else
with a
key length too big to be vulnerable to such keysearch machines?
There clearly *are*
ways to get more than 56 bits of security out of DES.  However,
they're not generally
obvious, and even very bright cryptographers have shot themselves in
the foot trying
to design them.  (Remember 3DES with internal CBC-mode chaining,
Ladder DES, and
DES-Tran-DES-Tran-DES?)

--John Kelsey, kelsey at counterpane.com / kelsey at plnet.net
NEW PGP print =  5D91 6F57 2646 83F9 6D7F 9C87 886D 88AF