your mail

Paul Bradley paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 06:34:00 PST 1997

> If I live in the US and put the perl RSA code in
> my sig, then post in an international newsgroup,
> have I illegally exported encryption?

Yes, so, I believe under the EAR, has the admin of the newshost which
sends the post out of the US.

> If I put that same code on my web site, then
> post requests to view my site in an
> international newsgroup, have I exported it?

Yes, I believe that is the case, the same applies to FTP, and any other
similar protocol.

> What is the penalty for exporting powerful
> encryption?

Can`t recall, I`m sure someone here knows the EAR tariffs, it`s pretty
steep but a. you wont get caught, and b. if you do, the prosecution is
highly unlikely to be succesful.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul at crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul at cryptography.uk.eu.org