Is Anonymous Communication only for "Criminals"? (was: Re: UCENET II and Peter duh Silva)

Rabid Wombat wombat at mcfeely.bsfs.org
Sat Dec 20 21:51:25 PST 1997

> 	War on (some) Drugs...  they don't want to, they have been asked to...
>
> 	Most payphones can no longer receive calls because of this as
> well, and there are far fewer of them around in certain areas than there
> used to be ...

More like simple economics; after the breakup, a lot of pay phones were
operated by companies specializing in this type of service. Pay phones
are high maintenance, and their operators can only turn a profit by
charging very high rates; if you make a quick call and ask the other
party to call you back at the pay phone, the pay phone operator doesn't
make much money.

Can you site any legislation barring pay phones from receiving calls? I'd
think that most pay phone operators would be glad to deny incomming calls
if they were allowed to (as they often are), and wouldn't need to be forced.

(If you carry a pager only so a select group of people can reach you, you
may want to block pay phone calls - beats having crack-heads paging you
instead of their dealer by mistake at 4:00 a.m. - OTOH, you meet a lot
of interesting people this way ... :)  )

-r.w.