message dependent hashcash => no double spend database (Re: hashcash spam prevention & firewalls)

William H. Geiger III whgiii at invweb.net
Thu Dec 18 13:28:46 PST 1997

In <v03102806b0bdff5466dc@[208.129.55.202]>, on 12/17/97
   at 05:26 PM, Steve Schear <schear at lvdi.net> said:

>>On 17 Dec 1997 02:21:48 -0600, in local.cypherpunks you wrote:
>>Yes, but if you just phase it in over time, what benefit, if any, will
>>users see until hashcash is fully deployed.  Until that time, people will
>>still have to accept email without hashcash or risk losing important
>>messages.

>If I want to send an important message to you and I get a hashcash
>rejection reponse and I'm given a Web site where I can get a Java applet
>to create the hashcash, I'll do it.  We all know we must affix postage to
>our snailmail. Its time to embrace the postal system's paradigm and
>educate the reminder of the Net.  Those who risk missing an email or two
>will totally stop their SPAM. Those who won't, won't.

>>I don't see people adopting hashcash unless there is some intermediate
>>benefit to doing so.

>All we need is a small, influential, group to sing the praises of
>hashcash.  I'm sure Declan and Wired will pick up the banner if what we
>come up with works.  After that IETF activity is a far gone conclusion.

Well IMNSHO hashcahs mail sucks!! It opens up the pandora's box of usage
based charges for everything done on the 'net. What will be next? FTP
sites charging hashcash for DL's? WebPages charging hashcash per hit? DNS
servers charging per lookup? Routers charging per packet?

Note: In Adams proposal for hashcash only charges the user CPU cycles. The
incentive for wide implementation of hashcash is going to be a real ecash
based system where the implementors can make $$$ off it.

All this talk of "educating" the user is scary. After the newspeak
translation: "Lets condition the sheeple to accept a metered rate Internet
even though they don't want it".

Hashcash is an evil worse than a 1000 Spamfords. I will not support
Hashcash now or in the future and will do my best to stop its spread. As a
matter of fact I plan on writtin Declan on this personaly. I also plan to
form a coalition to block any adoption of hashcash within the IETF. Hmmmmm
sounds like a good BOF for LA :)

This crap will do nothing but place an unnecessary burdon on users while
doing *nothing* to stop SPAM.

I have *PAID IN FULL* for my Inet usage!! What bits I send over the Inet,
how many bits I send, and who I send them to is NO ONE's BUSINESS but my
own!!! -- Last Anarchist of the Inet.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html