Comparing PGP to Symantec's Secret Stuff

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Tue Dec 16 21:54:42 PST 1997

At 3:01 AM -0800 12/16/97, Vin McLellan wrote:
>   Norton Secret Stuff secures the data using the 32-bit Blowfish
>encryption algorithm -- which is why it's approved for unrestricted export
>outside the US by the U.S. government.

This is the first I've heard of a Blowfish based produce being approved for
export.  Since Blowfish has about 9 bits worth of protection against brute
force searches in its key schedule, this is about a 41 bit approval.  Does
anyone know of an export permit for a version of Blowfish with a key longer
than 32 bits?

Bill Frantz       | One party wants to control | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | what you do in the bedroom,| 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | the other in the boardroom.| Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA