Identity, Persistence, Anonymity, and Accountability--Part Iof II

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sun Dec 14 21:13:01 PST 1997

At 9:13 PM -0700 12/14/97, Brad Dolan wrote:
>Sounds like a good way to sap some of the energy from the cp list.
>
>Thanks for letting us know.
>
>bd
>one of the unwashed

 I agree that it siphons off energy, but then so have Coderpunks,
Cryptography, Fight-Censorship, e$pam (or whatever Hettinga's lists are
called), and various other lists.

List proliferation is a fact of life. And each new list thinks it will
avoid the problems of the past.

(I joined another list recently, a list designed to not repeat the problems
seen on the Extropians list. Well, sure enough, it's "more Extropian than
the Extropians list." Sad.)

Declan decided that rebroadcasting articles out of Nym would not be
allowed, but he said nothing about not mentioning its existence. (Nor would
I have agreed to be on a list whose very existence I could not disclose.)
Anyway, tonight when I mentioned its existence as I was posting an article
here that I wrote for the Nym list, I half-expected some comments from
Dimitri.

But I didn't expect someone to post the subscription instructions
(anonymously, of course). Hint: it wasn't I.

Anyway, I suppose that by mid-morning tomorrow Declan is going to have to
decide how to deal with subscriptions by Vulis, Human Gus-Peter, Toto, and
all the others.

I'm glad I'm not responsible for such things.

--Tim May