Airlines demanding SS #'s???

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Dec 14 21:04:23 PST 1997

At 06:38 PM 12/14/1997 -0600, sphantom wrote:
>>   The government misuses my Social Security Number to steal
>> my money. Where do I press charges? Can I place airline
>> employees under citizen's arrest when they demand it?
>
>Excuse ME? When did THIS begin?
>
>No shit. It is right on my Social Security card,
> ' Not for Identification'.

That doesn't mean "Nobody's allowed to use this for identification."
It means "The Social Security Administration doesn't claim that
this card is useful for identification so don't blame them if
the person using it isn't who the card says they are."

The only people you can press charges on are government employees
asking you for SSN information in ways that violate the
Privacy Act of 197x, which has been amended several times to
water it down, and while the employees can theoretically be
fined for violating it, your chances of collecting are near zero.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com