A new first for Reno/Justice! Encryption not even on the agenda!

Attila T. Hun attila at hun.org
Thu Dec 11 12:25:02 PST 1997

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> I wrote about this yesterday, an hour after the summit ended, at:
>
> http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/afternoon/0,1012,1626,00.html
>
> Note Reno said that the OECD was where cryptodiscussions where happening.
>
> -Declan

    firsts never mean much except that in this case, the
    conference could address other issues instead of
    spending the total conference arguing the fallacies
    of encryption policies, or as you aptly stated:

       But she clearly intends to do
       more than collaborate: The
       joint principles call for the
       government "to continue
       providing the public and private
       sectors with standards for
       reliable and secure
       telecommunications and data
       processing technologies." Like
       the Clipper Chip, maybe? --By
       Declan McCullagh/Washington

   or as I put in an earlier rant:

       is it not odd that the more the government tries to
       abridge our free speech rights, the more they want to
       confiscate our weapons?

   encryption is a [modern*] weapon against government intrusion
   and tyranny.

       * modern in the sense of availability easily to the masses.

   BTW: today's Doonesbury is timeless. Coach (nee Captain) has
        not lost it... attached for a limited use to a limited
        (no pun intended) audience under fair use -thanjs Gary.

   attila out...  one more time for justice in our lifetime