ABCnews/Nightline on Cyber Terror 8-Dec-97

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Tue Dec 9 16:00:35 PST 1997

R Bradley wrote:

> I seem to recall X Four writing:
> > Last night, ABC news once again stroked the fires of fear and
> > raised the boogieman of "Hackers" destroying the goverment, banks,
> > power plants, ad nauseum.  Of course, the main guest was from the
> > US Govt's new trumpeter of CyberTerrorizm, "the President's
> > Commission on Critical Infrastructure Protection".  A full
> > transcript is available.
> > http://www.abcnews.com/onair/nightline/html_files/transcripts/ntl1208.html
>
> I recommend that those concerned light a fire under the media's
> collective large @sses on the issue concerning the government's
> history of lofty morals concerning their citizens and their
> computers.  I have been epistle-ing all afternoon.
>
> Rick

Perhaps we should point out to the media (and everyone else who has
his ears connected to his brain) that the implementation of GAK will
make the Cyber Terrorism scenario _inevitable_ not just possible.

After all, if the government's thesis is that the entire commercial
infrastructure could be cracked by hackers, they should readily
accept, as a fact, that GAK makes the info terrorist's job easier.
Those terrorists would simply subvert the access mechanisms to GAK
and gain access to _everyone's_ keys.

--
Martin G. Diehl

Sig under construction