"Kids summit" -- CNNfn interview

bureau42 Anonymous Remailer nobody at bureau42.ml.org
Mon Dec 8 14:29:54 PST 1997

On 27 Nov 97 at 13:12, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [I'd still like to hear more on the inner workings of next
> week's "kids on the Net" summit from our friends at CDT who
> are sponsoring it. The lineup of speakers includes Janet
> Reno, Al Gore, and the secretaries of commerce and education.
> All joining together to Protect the Children! --Declan]

Here is the piece about the CNN show transposed to another,
accurately analagous context to show the utter idiocy of what's
going on. What's really sad, what's really scary, is how _little_ I
actually had to transpose to do this. All I changed were the
occurrences of "online," "software," and "Surf."  I modified a
couple of other related words just to comport with the shift of
the metaphor from online to streets/public places.  Many paragraphs
remain unaltered because they contain none of the key words.

For credible transposition, imagine that the "tools" they're
discussing are something like a headset, blinders, and body armor
that kids can be made to wear while in public to protect them from
the realities of public places. Ask yourself how different that
would be from the assinine blocking software being discussed in the
original interview, and how intelligent is it to presume to think
one can mold all public places to be as safe and comfy as the family
living room. These people must be on very strong drugs.

This is also an indirect statement on the utter superficiality of
present day "news" coverage. The original interview _says_ virtually
nothing, communicates virtually no facts. It is really just an
emotional rallying and back-patting with little discernable
in the way of contextual detail.

PropagandaMongerII