Singapore

Harish Pillay harish at brokat.com.sg
Sun Dec 7 01:27:46 PST 1997

Hi.  I am appalled at the level of informed intelligence displayed on this
list by Phillip M. Hallam-Baker.

> >  Hallam-Baker obviously thinks that he can thwart my insightful,
> >barbed diatribes against him by posting empty messages to the
> >CypherPunks list,
>
> No, I was merely speechless.
>
> If you think that Singapore is a Libertarian paradise then
> you are not a Libertarian. I don't doubt that Duncan is
> capable of being an appologist for the Signapore regime
> just as there were a lot of 'Communists' who used to fawn
> over Stalin.
>
> The fact is that Singapore taps every telephone call, monitors
> every public place and performs traffic analysis to identify
> dissident communities. The fear of being identified in such
> a community is a major means of suppressing dissent.

I would indeed like to know what you take on a regular basis to conclude
the above.  Tapping phones?  Monitoring public places?  Analysing traffic?
Whichever parallel universe that you are dwelling in in definitely not one
I would like to be in.  Your utterly misinformed and totally ludicrous
statements above can only make me conclude that you are not serious in
making it, except to respond to all the be-numbed responses by previous
posters.

I am a Singaporean and have lived most of my life in Singapore.  I am no
lapdog of the government (thank you) nor do I agree with everything the
government does.  If it is of any interest to you, you can go to my home
page for information on dirt that I have posted about the SG govt.  You
can also go to many other sites all over (both within Singapore and outside)
that discuss a wide array of issues, (www.sintercom.org) for example.

I did come across some ill-informed post (not by Phillip though :-)) that
said that there are national filters to Internet access here.  Well, indeed,
the top level ISPs here have choosen to use filtering proxy servers to filter
out an alleged list of 100 porno sites (you can see that there is an on going
URL hunt to discover these filtered sites on
www.sintercom.org/hunt/rahunt.html.  You should also visit www.isoc.org.sg
for additional discussion on this).  Having said all that, this filter list
is 100% by-passable using sites such as www.anonymizer.com.

Regards.
Harish Pillay                             	  h.pillay at ieee.org
Singapore      *** Ask me about Linux *** http://home.pacific.net.sg/~harish