A Medal -- Or A Prison Cell? (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sat Dec 6 17:13:35 PST 1997

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 17:05:06 -0700
> From: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>
> Subject: Re: A Medal -- Or A Prison Cell?

> Also, how did Gates and his sons know the car was in fact the suspect's car?
>
> If it turns out that  the Gates family merely set up their own roadblock
> and tried to stop a car matching the general description (e.g., "a late
> model white Ford sedan," which might well be the case for a police chase),
> then they were truly reckless.
>
> As they weren't cops and the vehicles weren't police cars, why should a
> driver be fool enough to stop for some rednecks blocking the road?
>
> (If this example is not clear, ask yourself if you would stop your car for
> some blacks in Miami who blocked the road with their vehicles....)
>
> This is precisely why we don't want helpful do-gooders setting up their own
> road blocks and firing shots at cars that don't stop.

Since crypto-anarchy & free-market economic anarchy both do away with
centralized authorities isn't this sort of behaviour what is *expected* of
members of the community under these systems? Doesn't the fact that there is
a clear and present danger to both person and community justify these sorts
of actions?

   |      We built your fort. We will not have it used against us.      |
   |                          John Wayne -  Allegheny Uprising          |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |