SynData/Schneier Attack Network Associates

cvhd at indyweb.net cvhd at indyweb.net
Sat Dec 6 10:07:41 PST 1997

At 11:42 AM 12/5/97 -0500, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:

> Right to Privacy for Sale in Cyberspace; SynData Technologies Inc.
> Speaks Out  Against Key Recovery
>
> Cedar Grove, N.J. -- SynData Technologies Inc., a provider of encryption
> software solutions, released a statement today condemning Network
> Associates Inc. for supporting the government's key recovery program.
> Network Associates recently purchased Pretty Good Privacy (PGP).
> PGP had historically been opposed to key recovery.
>
> "It is time to seriously consider the threat that Network Associates poses
> to the individual's constitutional right to privacy," said David
Romanoff, CEO
> of SynData Technologies Inc. "While Network Associates claims to protect
> privacy in cyberspace, they have actually traded our right to privacy for a
> shot at increased revenues overseas by supporting the key recovery program.
> The slippery slope has begun right under our noses. It's time to challenge
> both the government and companies who support the government's key
> recovery program before it is too late."
>
> "The government's key recovery program is a complete violation of the
> individual's right to privacy and, in fact, compromises of the system are
> already taking place. This shows that key escrow is an untenable policy,"
> said Bruce Schneier, one of the world's leading authorities on encryption
> and author of the book "Applied Cryptography". "SynData is paving the
> way for other software developers by taking a stand in opposition to the
> government and companies like Network Associates."

- - - Begin Signed Opinion - - -
Everyone should keep in mind that John McAfee very well knows on which side
of his bread it is buttered--  McAfee has made his fortune on the
site-licenses for government use of his anti-virus product.  U.S. Customs
alone liceneses 17,000+ copies.  Is anyone kidding themselves about which
side of GAK and Key Escrow McAfee will come down on?  I have never bought
into any of the conspiranauts BS about PGP backdoors as long as PZ was
involved with it but I will certainly assume it is to be a "given" with PGP
in the hands of McAfee.
- - - End Signed Opinion - - -
Signed - - -  CVHD - - -