Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Dec 5 19:03:38 PST 1997

At 4:50 PM -0700 12/5/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>At 22:18 +0000 12/5/97, Paul Spirito wrote:
>>But once again, articles like Declan's "hey, Singapore may be 'Disneyland
>>with the death penalty' but the trains sure run on time" piss me off.
>
>You should read the complete article (I provided the URL, after all) before
>complaining that I'm somehow not critical enough of Singapore.

And, though most of you already surely know this, the phrase "Disneyland
with the death penalty" is not Declan's. Not that Declan is claiming
authorship, but the record still ought to be clarified. This nice turn of
phrase appeared several years ago in an article of William Gibson's (or
maybe Bruce Sterling's, but I 97% certain it was Gibson's) in "Wired."

However, our own(Cypherpunk list) Sandy Sandfort coined it, when he was
working with Gibson on the article, from all that I have heard.

--Tim May