Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Dec 3 09:53:52 PST 1997

At 8:42 AM -0700 12/3/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>This is nothing new. Honest (self-identified) leftists like my friend Bob
>Chatelle complain about the censors on the left almost as much as censors
>on the right. Other fave leftist censorship causes:
>
>-- MacKinnonite antiporn laws (she's a self-identified Marxist, I recall)

And her partner, Andrea Dworkin, belies the oft-quoted notion that someone
so far to the left comes out a libertarian rightist. No, this chick Dworkin
is so far left she's just plain _left_. She argues that porn for womyn (or
is it wimmin?) is fine and dandy, because this represents lesbian
sisterhood exploring their own blah blah blah, but porn aimed and directed
at men, even if containing precisely the same images of naked chicks, is
inherently exploitative and should be banned. (How?) Dworkin has clamined,
several times, that all heterosexual sex is rape.

>-- "Hate speech" bans

And "hate speech" laws are already spreading on the Net. Just a day or two
ago there was a report that a student is being prosecuted for "hate speech"
messages mentioning Asians (or maybe just Japanese?) in a derogatory way.

What part of  "shall make no law" is not being understood here? What part
of "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" did
they not understand? (This being one of the lessons, along with several
other crucial memes, that some of us learned early on...apparently this
lesson, and the fable of the grasshopper and the ant, has been replaced by
the Dworkin-approved "Heather Has Two Mommies" lesbian propaganda.)

>-- Sexual harassment "hostile environment" regulations (Give me a break.
>This is  the justification for at least one library censorware
>installation.)

This is a fairly old one, at least 15 years old. Girlie calendars, even of
bikini girls, are banned in most work environments. GIFs or JPEGs with sexy
themes are banned (unless, one presumes, they are "lesbigay or transgender"
(!), in which case they must be encouraged by Management so as to provide a
nurturing environment for lesbigays...sort of a kind of affirmative action
for dykes and fags).

The City of Berkeley has floated proposals to ban public reading, in
diners, restaurants, etc., of magazines like "Playboy." Not because
children might catch a glimpse of a naked breast, but because womyn and
other sensitive souls might be offended. (I don't know if this was ever
passed into law, let alone challenged in court.)

>-- Various FCC regulations aside from indecent stuff

Like mandatory voluntary ratings. Like mandatory voluntary "public service
announcements." Like denials of licenses for politically incorrect stations.

>-- Labeling/compelled speech requirements (Jamie, are you out there?)

Labelled speech will be the touchstone for the next couple of decades of
debate about censorship, hurtful speech, and mandatory voluntary
self-ratings.

"But you can say anything you wish, provided you voluntarily and accurately
self-label your words, and provided none of the protected class members are
offended or insulted."

>>bottom line is that most any political orientation is likely to thrash free
>>speech when it appears to be a threat.
>
>Well, at least the libertarians in the audience are consistently opposed to
>government censorship.

Such has it always been, such will it always be.

--Tim May