CDT and the Threat of Gov't Intervention

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Dec 2 22:01:01 PST 1997

Besides demonstrating that cyberporn is a topic that will
never disappear, the Kids and the Net summit has
highlighted the tensions between the different types of
Net-advocacy groups here in Washington.

The civil liberties groups (ACLU, EPIC, EFF, CPSR), and
journalism, publishers, and media groups have lined up on
one side [http://www.ifea.org/] saying the government
shouldn't pressure the Internet to self-censor (or be
censored by the Feds). They held a counter-summit press
conference yesterday. Even the libertarian Cato Institute
is in this corner.

On the other side, the Center for Democracy and Technology
[http://www.cdt.org/] is participating in the summit along
with antiporn groups, high tech firms, and "censorware"
vendors. CDT says that the Net needs to self-regulate or
face the wrath of the U.S. Congress. (Folks at CDT
generally take pro-industry positions and have been
involved in many compromises in the past: wiretapping,
"harmful to minors," and jail time for use of encryption in
a crime.) CDT, however, has called for the development of
multiple rating systems.

You could easily tell the difference between the two
outlooks today. ACLU associate director Barry Steinhardt
and CDT director Jerry Berman debated this afternoon. "If
we sit back and we offer nothing... that's not a solution
for the American public," Berman said. He said that CDT is
"looking to balance free speech rights" with other values.

-Declan