Censorware Summit 2.0, from The Netly News

Jim Burnes jim.burnes at ssds.com
Tue Dec 2 15:17:14 PST 1997

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

> there's a simple solution to anyone who doesn't
> like the so-called "mandatory voluntary" rating systems.
>
> START YOUR OWN!!

I've mentioned this half in jest before, but why don't all
the moralistic fanatics petition their church to come up with
filtering software.

That way you could be sure what kind of stuff your church
were filtering out.  In doing so you would be providing
a powerful check on the values of your religious institution.

Since hard-core profit motives would be eliminated you could
check if your church actively filters specific sites.  This
is something the net-nanny software doesn't allow you to do
because their filter lists are proprietary.

I know the RC church has plenty of additional clergy to
devote to such a noble task  ;-)

The types of filtered information are up to your church:

Anyone care to submit major censoring categories for each
church? ;-)  Maybe the best way for cypherpunks to attack
this is to come up with free generic filtering software that
any well recognized group can develop filtering lists for.
Wait -- a name is coming to me -- GNUSitter?

Please append your filtering categories here:

Roman Catholic:
Jewish:
Lutheran:
Pentacostal: