PGP Inc Sold for $35M - News Flash

William H. Geiger III whgiii at invweb.net
Mon Dec 1 20:14:38 PST 1997

In <Pine.LNX.3.95.971201181053.19756A-100000 at www.ctrl-alt-del.com>, on
12/01/97
   at 06:13 PM, Alan <alan at ctrl-alt-del.com> said:

>On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Vin McLellan wrote:

>> <News Alert, from C/Net's News.Com>
>>
>> "PGP acquired by merged security software firm.
>>
>> "Pretty Good Privacy, an encryption company foundered by crypto pioneer
>> Phil Zimmermann, has been acquired by Network Associates, the result of the
>> merger of McAfee Associates and Network General, which closed today.
>>
>> "Network Associates will pay $35 million in cash  for PGP. "

>Not good news.  As I remember McAfee was one of the "Key Recovery Aliance
>Partners".

They sure are. :(

This does not look good at all. :(((

http://www.kra.org/roster.html

                 Key Recovery Alliance Members

                        * = Charter Members

            America Online, Inc.
            Apple Computer, Inc. *
            American Express Corp.
            Atalla *
            Baltimore Technologies
            Boeing
            Candle Corporation
            CertCo
            Certicom
            Compaq Computer Corp.
            Cryptomathic
            CygnaCom Sulutions, Inc.
            Cylink Corp.
            DASCOM, Inc.
            Data Securities International, Inc.
            Digital Equipment Corporation *
            Digital Secured Networks Technology, Inc.
            Digital Signature Trust Company
            Entrust Technologies
            First Data Corp.
            Fort Knox Escrow Services, Inc.