need confirmation of DVD/CSS crack in China ...

Brian B. Riley brianbr at together.net
Fri Aug 29 21:01:02 PDT 1997

On 8/29/97 1:44 AM, Lucky Green (shamrock at netcom.com)  passed this wisdom:

>I fail to see how you can prevent copying an entire disk. If the controller
>can access the data, I can copy it. Unless of course it will be made
>illegal to sell DVD controllers that output the raw data stream.
>
>Come to think of it, that must be coming.

   'security through obscurity' has/will never work. All it takes is one
good reverse engineer and presto, the secret is out and 'unlocked'
controller will be available above or under ground! The process could be
slowed down by keeping the price of DVD writers high, but we saw how long
that worked for both DAT and CD-R. Hell CD-Rs are now available for less
than CD readers were three years ago.

Brian B. Riley --> http://www.macconnect.com/~brianbr
     For PGP Keys -  Send Email Subject "Get PGP Key"
  "The first 75% of the project takes 90% of the time;
  the last 15% of the project takes the other 90% of the
  time. -- Barry Wainwright and numerous ofthe engineers