Want to help put Judge Patel's decision on the web?

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Fri Aug 29 17:00:06 PDT 1997

We tried running it through OCR software and the results were
worse than just typing it in.

So we're asking for your help.

Please pick a random page of the document and type it in as ordinary
text.  We'll proofread it and fix up the strange characters and such.
Mail the result to me (gnu at toad.com) and post a one-line note to
cypherpunks that says "Patel decision page XX handled".  If a few get
typed twice, it'll be useful for proofreading anyway.

The document is on the Web at
http://www.eff.org/pub/Legal/Cases/Bernstein_v_DoS/Legal/970825_decision.images
We reworked the original fuzzy images so they're much easier to read
now.  But that's still no substitute for real, searchable, small,
ordinary text.

Please type it like this:

  *  Break the lines in the same place as in the original text.
  *  That funny "S-like" squiggle translates as "Sec." (for section).
  *  That funny "P-like" squiggle translates as "Para." (for paragraph).
  *  Any other stuff you don't understand, do your best, then add "XXX",
     which we'll search for and fix up.

Thanks to everyone who helps!

	John