need confirmation of DVD/CSS crack in China ...

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Aug 29 00:51:09 PDT 1997

At 10:44 PM -0700 8/28/97, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 07:30 AM 8/28/97 DST, Jenaer Mixmaster Anonserver wrote:
>>  DVD encryption is described on the Web at:
>>
>>    http://www.kipinet.com/tdb/tdb_oct96/feat_protection.html
>>
>>  There's a very simple way to 'break' it - you just copy the entire disk.
>>Key-size is irrelevant.
>
>I fail to see how you can prevent copying an entire disk. If the controller
>can access the data, I can copy it. Unless of course it will be made
>illegal to sell DVD controllers that output the raw data stream.
>
>Come to think of it, that must be coming.

The way it was done with DAT (Digital Audio Tape), the product similar to
DVD in so many ways, was to restrict the availability of DAT recorders
which could faithfully record the output of other DAT machines. The SCMS
system, or "Serial Copy Management System," has been in all consumer-grade
DAT machines.

Pro-grade DAT machines have no SCMS, or  SCMS-defeat switch. And there are
various SCMS defeaters widely available.

--Tim May