Suing gun makers?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Aug 28 01:31:27 PDT 1997

At 10:09 PM -0700 8/27/97, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 11:37 PM 8/27/97 -0400, Sean Roach wrote:
>>I wasn't referring to when the things work improperly.  I was referring to
>>cases specifically like the lawsuit brought against the makers of the TEC-9
>>because some idiot used one on an office building full of people and it had
>>the odassity to work.
>
>Actually, it didn't work. The TEC-9 is such a lousy gun, it jammed
>immediately. The killer dispatched all his victim with his backup 45. Not
>that the pro-victimization lobby would care much about the facts.

Are you sure about this, Lucky? I've fired a Tec-9 at the range, and if
functioned OK...just a standard, stamped-metal, 9 that fires from an open
bolt. Any jams, if they occurred, could be cleared easily, probably faster
than a shooter could drop it and replace it with his sidearm.

And just which case are you guys both apparently talking about (without
actually saying so). The Market Street shooting in SF a few years ago?

I recall  hearing that the shooter's victims were suing the gun makers, the
gun stores, the building owners, the city of San Francisco, and probably
the Sanitation Department.

Emotional loss can make people do all sorts of wrong things. But their
suits should have been dismissed immediately, on a matter of law. Was it? I
never heard the outcome.

If they won, then the courthouse in which this happened should be McVeighed.

--Tim May