Reproductive Rights and State Benefits (fwd)

William H. Geiger III whgiii at amaranth.com
Sat Aug 23 23:42:50 PDT 1997

In <199708240358.WAA28187 at einstein.ssz.com>, on 08/23/97
   at 10:58 PM, Jim Choate <ravage at ssz.com> said:

> [...]

<sigh> I have yet presented an argument for nor against the need for the
14th Amendment. This has been your own private one man circle jerk.

The position I presented was that the States do not have the power to deny
its citizens the rights protected under the Constitution of the United
States and the Bill of Rights. Rather than debate the validity of this
position you have conjured up this irrelevant issue of wether or not the
14th Amendment was/is needed.

Whenever you sober-up and come back down to reality we can debate the
issue at hand.

FWIIW I do not believe that the 14th Amendment was needed IMHO as the
rights of the citizens were guaranteed under previous articles of the
Constitution. Once again taking into account the political climate after
the civil war the Congress felt that this needed to be more clearly spelt
out via the 14th amendment in an effort to insure that the recently freed
blacks received the same protections under the law as the rest of the
citizens (13th & 15th Amendments were of similar nature).

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html