In Defense of Pat Robertson and the "700 Club"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Aug 23 02:12:26 PDT 1997

Returning home from a night on the town here in scenic Santa Cruz (The
Kingsmen, "Louie Louie" on the Boardwalk, and Dick Dale, "Miserlou" ("Pulp
Fiction") at a local club,  I see various and sundry articles blasting Pat
Robertson. Some are obvious Toto-spoofs, and some quote Robertson as saying
UFO enthusiasts ought to be stoned to death.

In late 1993, months after the Clipper travesty was unveiled, Pat
Robertson's "The 700 Club" denounced Clipper as an unconstitutional, and
perhaps Satanic, plot. Not being a Believer, I can't comment on the Satanic
part.

(At the Hackers Conference, 1993, we sat and watched the "700 Club"
videotape with amazement.)

But I sure do know that I felt more commonality with Pat Robertson and "The
700 Club" than I ever have felt with Billy Bob Clinton and his fake
Christian piety.

If Pat Robertson called for the death by stoning of UFO believers, it was
almost certainly rhetorical hyperbole, like Rush Limbaugh's suggestions of
what ought to be done to lesbians.

I'm not a believe in any religion. but I have more in common with Pat
Robertson or the Grand Mufti of Mormonism than I do with Bill and Hillary
and George and Barbara and Ronnie and Nancy and....

--Tim May, who thinks bashing of Christians can be carried too far.