Bad signature from announce at lp.org

Martin Pool mbp at pharos.com.au
Wed Aug 20 17:44:46 PDT 1997

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Jim Burnes wrote:

> > > ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
> > >
> > > ===============================================
> > > NEWS FROM THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY
> > > 2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, Suite 100
> > > Washington DC 20037
> > > ===============================================
> > [...]
> >
> > On my machine, using keyid 1024/A7406ED1 <announce at lp.org> the signature
> > did not match the message.  Most likely there was a harmless alteration in
> > the process of being forwarded, but possibly the message is bogus.
> >
> > Martin Pool
> >

> Yes...the "-------- Forwarded Message Follows ------" line.
>
> Unless you already took that into account in which case its
> probably the ">" symbols or something to that effect.

No, the "-------- Forwarded Message Follows ------" line is before the PGP
begin line, so I think it should not corrupt the signature.  I can't see
any '>' quotes inside the message.  I suppose probably there's an extra
space or newline in there.  I'm not 100% sure if PGP collapses
whitespace to avoid this or not... I imagine probably not.

Martin Pool