Toilet plungers and sodomy: Why we should trust police blindly

Declan McCullagh declan at pathfinder.com
Thu Aug 14 10:58:09 PDT 1997

<B>By TOM HAYS<P>
<B>Associated Press Writer<P>
	NEW YORK (AP) - A police officer turned himself over to
investigators after being accused of using a toilet plunger to sodomize a
Haitian immigrant who was arrested in a scuffle outside a nightclub.
	Justin Volpe, 25, one of two officers that Abner Louima identified
as his attackers, surrendered to the police department's internal affairs
division Wednesday night. Louima was critically injured in the Saturday
beating.
	Deputy Inspector Michael Collins said Volpe would be charged with
aggravated sexual abuse and first-degree assault. Collins also said
disorderly conduct charges against Louima were being dropped. And the
mayor said the precinct was undergoing a staff shakeup.
	Citing an unidentified high-ranking official familiar with the
investigation, the Daily News reported today that Louima told
investigators Volpe sodomized him.
	Louima has said an officer shoved a toilet plunger into his
rectum, and then into his mouth.
	"They said, "Take this, nigger,' and stuck the stick in my rear
end," Louima, 30, said in a hospital interview.

[...]