Encrypting same data with many keys...

Alan alan at ctrl-alt-del.com
Wed Aug 13 15:51:33 PDT 1997

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997 nospam-seesignature at ceddec.com wrote:

> > Would it not make sense to scatter the random padding throughout the
> > block?   How is this normally done?  Front?  Back?  Middle?  Scattered?
>
> The location does not matter.  The standard RSA libs place the padding at
> the front - it is one of those PKCS specifications.

Actually it does matter.  At the front is best with a chaining cypher.
(The random padding will cascade down through the rest of the data.)  With
adding it on the end, given all other factors being the same, the data
before the random padding will be the same as well.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.