Encrypting same data with many keys...

Ray Arachelian sunder at brainlink.com
Wed Aug 13 14:16:00 PDT 1997

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Bill Stewart wrote:

> The actual data is encrypted with IDEA, but the identical IDEA key is
> encrypted with each recipient's RSA key.  To avoid this attack,
> PGP uses random padding after the IDEA key (which makes the message
> encrypted with RSA different for each recipient, avoiding the trap.
> Since IDEA keys are 128 bits long, and RSA moduli are typically 384-2047,
> there's plenty of room for random noise in the format.)

Would it not be more secure if it picked a different IDEA session key for
each recipient?  Would be slower, but...

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder at sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....