Data Privacy Laws

Ulf Möller 3umoelle at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Apr 30 08:40:18 PDT 1997

> BONN, Germany (Reuter) -- A German cabinet minister called Monday for
> increased efforts to fight crime on the Internet and demanded that
> cyber-sheriffs have keys to unlock coded messages.
> Interior Minister Manfred Kanther told a conference .....

> So clearly the government disagrees.

Fortunately, it is not that clear.  The FDP (the smaller party in the
government coalition) sent out an angry press release today, pointing
out that Kanther's plan will not be supported by a majority neither in
the cabinet nor in the Bundestag, and demanding that he stops to
damage the government's reputation.

Also see my previous message about the FDP policy at
http://infinity.nus.sg/cypherpunks/dir.archive-97.04.17-97.04.23/0087.html