Crypto moves forward: Commerce Dept panel and SAFE markup

William H. Geiger III whgiii at amaranth.com
Mon Apr 28 01:50:25 PDT 1997

In <97Apr26.185020edt.32257-1 at brickwall.ceddec.com>, on 04/26/97 at 04:50
PM,
   tz at execpc.com said:

>On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>> My lord, I'm agreeing with Jim Bell!
>>
>> Right now, no controls exit on domestic crypto, though strict export
>> controls are in place.
>>
>> The question is: Do we want to give up any domestic freedom in exchange
>> for a relaxation of export controls? (Congress is, after all, built on
>> compromises between warring factions.)
>>
>> My instinct is to say "No." Let the courts strike down ITAR, EAR, and its
>> progeny, while we keep our freedoms domestically.
>>
>> -Declan

>I emailed Rep Goodlatte, but didn't get a response about this issue.  My
>main problem is that it becomes a felony to use encryption for anything
>that can be prosecuted if I take the legalese literally.  So if I have a
>GSM cell phone in a car that is illegally parked, it seems that I would
>fall under the definition.

>I would mind it less if, 1. There had to be a conviction for the main
>crime.  2. The main crime must be a serious felony (i.e. something far
>worse than a single overdrawn check).  3. The penaly for using encryption
>in furtherance should be less than that for the main crime.  4. encryption
>had to play an intrinsic role in the main crime.  5. It must go beyond
>common, everyday uses of encryption.

What I find troubling with the whole thing is the ideal that I *NEED* the
US Congress to pass a law giving me permision to exercise my 1st Amendment
Rights.

This is just another "bait and switch" scam by the government.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

Finger whgiii at amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: Friends don't let friends use Windows.