SNL/NSA Crypto Security

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Sat Apr 26 00:52:18 PDT 1997

At 11:57 PM 4/21/97 -0400, John Young wrote:
[...]
>One affidavit cites Payne's claim to knowing how to "easily
>break public key encryption" but refused to tell NSA, thus
>harming SNL's customer relations.
>
>http://jya.com/nsasuit4.htm

Indeed. Let's try to get a copy of the draft mentioned in the affidavit:
" 20. Also included with the letter to Professor Fushimi was a draft
document written by plaintiff Payne entitled a "Public Key Encryption Is
Easily Broken." No member of Dr. Payne's management was advised of his plan
to release this document and Sandia had no opportunity to inform NSA of his
plans. "

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred

   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi