The Risks of Automatic Spam Filtering/Deadbolt

Charles Anthony canthony at info-nation.com
Wed Apr 23 05:52:19 PDT 1997

An item from Risks-Forum Digest forwarded through the Red Rock Eater
News Service-

--C

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:31:55 -0800 (PST)
From: risks at csl.sri.com
Subject: RISKS DIGEST 18.94

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Thursday 27 March 1997  Volume 18 : Issue 94

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:25:38 -0600 (CST)
From: Prentiss Riddle <riddle at is.rice.edu>
Subject: Risks of automatic spam blockers

Forwarded from Edupage, 25 March 1997:
| SPAM BLOCK
| A California software engineer [Ron Guilmette] takes the annoyance
| caused by unsolicited e-mail messages seriously, and has developed an
| anti-spam weapon he plans to unveil next month.  Dead Bolt allows
| online users to share their "blacklists" of spam purveyors so that they
| can more effectively filter offending e-mail.  "The problem now is that
| everyone who is filtering is keeping their own blacklists and they're
| not working together to tie their lists together in a meaningful way,"
| says Dead Bolt's creator.  "What I hope my package will do is allow
| people to work together over the Net and filter all this stuff out and
| finally put these people out of business....The problem is that it
| costs the sender virtually zero dollars to send out a million messages,
| and even if the response rate is minuscule by all standards -- say .001
| percent -- they've made money.  So from an economic selfish point of
| view, it's in their interest to annoy the other 99.99 percent of the
| people." (Miami Herald 24 Mar 97)

The full Miami Herald article is available at:

   http://www.herald.com/archive/cyber/techdocs/056735.htm

Some of the risks of automatic spam filtering which Deadbolt will have
to overcome in order to be successful include:

   -- The risk of false and malicious blacklisting of non-spammers.

   -- The risk of harm to innocent bystanders who happen to share
      hostnames, ISPs, or other characteristics with targeted spammers.

   -- The possibility that spam messages will avoid detection by
      varying return addresses and other signatures in each copy of
      a message.

I find the first two particularly troubling -- were an imperfect spam
filtering system in wide use, then triggering it against an innocent
party could become a handy form of denial-of-service attack.

Published details of Deadbolt are sketchy, but a Deja News or Alta
Vista search of Usenet for "Ron Guilmette" reveals some of its
designer's thinking on the subject.  So far, I don't see enough to
convince me that he will be successful.

Prentiss Riddle  riddle at rice.edu

End of RISKS-FORUM Digest 18.94