David Friedman and assassination politics

Jim Bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Sun Apr 20 17:52:31 PDT 1997

At 14:13 4/20/97 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Jim,
>For the record: I doubt everyone agrees with your "libertarianism is
>intertwined with assassination politics" line... I suggest that one can
>believe in minimal government and other libertarian mainstays without
>seeing a need to kill off those whom we dislike, be they IRS agents or
>surly supermarket clerks.
>-Declan

Sure, they can BELIEVE in those things without seeing the need, etc, but
then again they can believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.  Their
position would be overly optimistic, in my opinion.

I think a more realistic way to phrase it is this:  "If a society is
sufficiently defective so as to contain those flaws (ones which could have
been corrected using AP), that society will also contain flaws which make it
impossible to be called libertarian."

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com