Introducing newbies to encryption (was: Re: anonymous credit)

Eric Nystrom enystrom at aurora.nscee.edu
Mon Apr 14 19:51:30 PDT 1997

>   There isn't a week that goes by without my receiving an email from
> someone who thanks me for the benefit they have gained by my introducing
> them to encryption or anonymous remailers, yet I doubt that many of them

Toto hints at some issues here that I've been wondering about for a while
now.  What are some effective strategies for securely introducing
"newbies" to the world of cryptography and anon remailers?  I'm
currently attending college, which means that my peers all use email very
regularly -- a ripe environment for use of cryptography in email, I should
think.  However, nearly everyone's email accounts are on a central Unix
machine, which brings up many issues about the (lack of) security of
private keys on multiuser machines.

My question is this -- is it better for the crypto community in the long
run to have more people using encryption, but perhaps insecurely, or
to have fewer users whose communications are more cryptographically secure?

-Eric

--
Thus the time may have come to abandon the cool, measured language of
technical reports -- all that talk of "perturbations" and "surprises" and