SSL weakness affecting links from pa

Tom Weinstein tomw at netscape.com
Sun Apr 13 22:13:34 PDT 1997

Bill Stewart wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer to MS's security site; there's a lot of
> good information there.
>
> I was highly unimpressed with Microsoft's Response:
>         "It's Not A Security Flaw"
>         "But Everybody Important Works Around It"
>         "And we're fixing it in the next release"
> without providing much detail about what's going on.
> It does indicate what to look into to avoid it when writing web pages,
> but it doesn't say how to avoid it when entering your credit card
> number into a web page, or what to look for as a non-programmer user.

I basically agree with Microsoft.  It works as specified, and everyone
should know that handling sensitive form posts via GET is a bad idea.

That said, there is certainly some merit to the argument that HTTP's
"Referer:" is a privacy violation.  Therefore, we've added a preference
to Communicator that allows you to turn it off.  Because of the late
date there will be no UI, but if you are concerned about it, you can go
into your prefs.js file (preferences.js on unix) and turn it off by
adding the line:

user_pref("network.sendRefererHeader", false);

This will be available starting in beta 4.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw at netscape.com