Patent Giveaway Bill - House vote could be week of April 14th

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Apr 13 20:09:07 PDT 1997

Got this one off one of my favorite um, hydrophobic, right-wing lists.

Actually, I *like* the idea of adopting the Japanese model, a patent system
which was designed from the gitgo to strip technology from the original
patentholders and accellerate its transfer to people who could implement it
faster.

Evolution in action, and all that. Of course, I expect that, <duck>
geodesic markets </duck> will reward people who come up with new stuff --
and not people who control old stuff -- by exponentially depreciating old
information as fast as it's created.

"Piracy" being the most efficient form of information transfer on a
ubiquitous network, and, with so-called watermarking, cryptolopes, etc.,
only being able to tell you who your copy was "pirated" from, the first
copy of anything will be auctioned off dear, and subsequent copies will be
sold dear in radiating secondary markets. Jason Cronk just wrote a paper on
this, based on his rump-session talk at FC97. I don't have the URL handy,
but his email address is <mailto:rjasonc at purple.reddesign.com>.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

--- begin forwarded text