A Rumor and Reputation Paradox...

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Apr 13 09:49:11 PDT 1997

Here's something from cyberia which talks about the persistence of
anti-reputation memes even in the presence of perfectly contradictory
information.

We've all heard about apocryphal stories, the $50 Corvette and the like,
but here's a case which has financial reprocussions. It reminds me of the
"satanism" claims about the Procter and Gamble moon and stars corporate
symbol a while back.

My first attempt at tackling this would be some kind of distributed
reputation system, but it seems to me that if someone I trusted said
something bad about Mr. Hilfinger, in the absence of any other respectable
data, I would believe them. I guess that means the need for reputation
"rental", like what financial intermediaries do, and also what we now call
journalism, will increase, not deminish, in geodesic markets.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

--- begin forwarded text