Reporters, Declan, Columns, Articles, and Angles

Toto toto at sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 9 12:18:20 PDT 1997

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> I've been on cypherpunks long before I got my press credentials. The
> topics genuinely interest me, and this is one of the few jobs where I can
> follow them full-time. If I wanted to make a decent living, I would have
> taken that job as a management consultant instead. (Some of us aren't
> independently wealthy, Tim.) Mercenary? Not quite. Journalists don't get
> paid a whole hell of a lot.

  And Declan's articles genuinely interest 'me'.
  Having done a variety of 'reports' ranging from business reports to
press reports, I recognize that they have to be written so as to be
readable to those with no deep-rooted background in the events or
issues being reported.
  While those who faithfully follow the CypherPunks list and the
issued discussed here may find his reports somewhat shallow, I try
to read them from the perspective of those who have an interest in
the issues but only limited knowledge concerning them. From this
perspective, Declan's reports do a good deal to enlighten the masses
in regard to whatever issue he addresses.
--
Toto
"The Xenix Chainsaw Massacre"